Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between Practice and Real Money trading modes?

In a Real Money mode you are trading with real money and you should be aware of the risks involved. This is the sole difference between the modes, everything else is absolutely the same.

Why are there no longer separate Practice and Real account types?

We removed the hassle involved with managing separate Practice and Real accounts by merging them into a single one. Now you can simply use one account which supports both Practice and Real Money modes and you can switch back and forth any time.

Important details about the changes regarding existing users:
  • The changes were done on 18.11.2017.
  • Practice and Real accounts sharing the same email address were merged into a single account.
  • If your accounts were merged, you must log in using the password from your Real account.
  • The current state and the history of all merged accounts are preserved.

What currencies do you accept?

With Trading 212 you can open a Real Account in GBP, EUR and USD. We accept debit/credit card and bank payments in these currencies.

Is it safe to send you money?

Yes, it is completely safe. We are a licensed and regulated broker and keep all clients’ money in segregated bank accounts. Moreover, all clients’ money is covered by a compensation scheme in accordance with our regulator.

Why do you need a copy of my ID card?

As a licensed broker we are obliged to identify every client by their ID card. Proper identification is essential for your own safety as well.

Is it safe to send you a copy of my ID card?

We are a licensed controller of personal data. All information you provide us with is kept confidential and is used for identification purposes only.

What is a Tax Identification Number (TIN) and where to find it?

A Tax Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used for tax purposes.

In some countries, TINs are found on official identity documents (such as ID cards, passports, driving licenses, etc.) and usually match the personal number.

Example: Spain (DNI); The Netherlands (Burgerservicenummer/BSN); Norway (Fødselsnummer or D-nummer); Sweden (Personnummer); Poland (PESEL); Czech Republic (Rodné číslo); Romania (Cod Numeric Personal); Serbia (JMBG); Russia (ИНН); China (公民身份号码).

In other countries, TINs are specially issued by government institutions to those who submit a tax return form. In this case, TINs can be found in other documents (such as health insurance cards, civil tax evaluation forms, etc.)

Example: UK (National Insurance Number); Italy (Codice fiscale); France (Numéro fiscal); Germany (Steuernummer).

Some countries do not issue tax identification numbers to their taxpayers. Their tax authorities use other data to identify taxpayers (such as name, date and place of birth, address, gender, etc.).

What is W-8BEN Form?

W-8BEN Form is a US tax form. Its primary purpose is to indicate that a foreign investor isn't subject to standard taxation practices. All Non US Persons are subject to US tax on the income they receive from US sources (such as dividends on US equities) and need to utilise a W-8BEN Form.

Ireland, the United Kingdom and most other EU member states are among the countries that have a double taxation treaty with the US. (Full list is available here). To benefit from this reduced tax rate one must submit the W-8BEN Form. It is also used to state the country you live in and to confirm you are not a resident of the United States.

How to provide a W-8BEN Form?

This can be done in 3 easy steps:

  1. Print the W-8BEN Form from the IRS website here.
  2. Fill in the required information.
  3. Send a picture of it or a scanned copy directly through your Trading 212 account or by email to

What is a Rights issue?

Companies use rights issues to raise capital for different purposes: to pay off debts, to fund acquisitions and growth strategies, or as a poison pill against hostile takeovers. A rights issue is an invitation to existing shareholders to purchase additional shares in the company at a discounted price.

Since they already hold equity in the company, existing shareholders receive a number of rights that are free of charge. They can either decide to exercise these rights and increase their shareholding in the company by purchasing additional shares at the reduced price and without brokerage fees, or they can alternatively trade these rights on the market

Investors who are not currently shareholders will be able to buy such rights on the market.

What is the minimum and maximum account size?

The minimum account size is EUR 100. There is no limit on maximum deposits.

Can I change the currency of my Real account?

Yes, it will be enough for you to open a new account in the desired currency and we will exchange and transfer your funds. To do that, please contact our Customer Support team.

Can I continue trading if I have lost all the money in my Practice Account?

Yes, you can have a fresh start by resetting your Practice Account from the “Settings” menu.

What is an inactivity fee?

The inactivity fee applies to CFD accounts with no trades ​for a period of at least six consecutive months (180 days). ​This is to offset the cost incurred in making the service available, even though it has not been used.

Will you continue to charge me if my account balance is zero?


How long will I be charged?

Your account will be charged until one of the following occurs:

  • You close your account;
  • You resume trading in your account;
  • You make a deposit into your account.

How will the charge apply if I have more than one trading account?

If you have more than one Trading Accounts and they have ALL become inactive, each one of them will be charged an Inactivity Fee. On the other hand, if at least one of your Trading Accounts is active, no Inactivity Fee will be charged for the inactive ones, if there are any.

Do you have many clients?

Yes, we are a fast growing international broker and thousands of new clients join us every month.